What is Alopecia Areata?
Alopecia Areata is a common hair disease which is also known as spot baldness. It is a medical condition that causes sudden hair loss from some or all areas of the body, that typically starts with circular bald patches on the scalp. The bald patches are often the size of a R5 coin and can cause people to be uncomfortable about their appearance as well as worried about the causes.
There are various types of Alopecia that can cause a few different types of hair loss:
- Alopecia areata – When hair loss occurs in patches on the scalp and other areas of the body.
- Alopecia totalis – When all hair on the scalp falls out.
- Alopecia universalis – When hair falls out all over the body.
Why does Alopecia Areata occur
There are many factors that cause Alopecia Areata. Scientifically it is caused when the immune system attacks the hair follicles causing the hair to fall out in round patches. This happens when the white blood cells attack the cells in the hair follicle causing them to shrink and slow down the production of hair.
While the main causes of Alopecia Areata have not yet been discovered medical experts say that this type of hair loss seems to be related to genetics as it occurs more frequently in people who have family members affected by it. Alopecia Areata shares genetic risk factors with a few other autoimmune diseases such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Prognosis of Alopecia Areata
The progress of alopecia areata is often unpredictable. In some cases, a person can lose their hair in a few small patches. Others may have more extensive involvement like in the case of Alopecia totalis and Alopecia universalis. These last two conditions are very rare and a lot more severe.
Symptoms of Alopecia Areata
- Smooth, bare patches where hair has fallen out. These patches are usually round or oval, however, they can take other shapes.
- The area of hair loss can be painful or tingle.
- Short hairs at the edge or in the bald patches, these hairs get thinner near the hair follicle. Known as “exclamation mark” hair.
- Widespread hair loss, most affected areas are the beard and scalp.
- It can affect the growth of your toenails and fingernails.
Treatment of Alopecia Areata
The best way to find the right treatment for any hair loss issues you may be experiencing is to see a professional Hair Renewal Clinic. There may be different treatments recommended to you depending on the nature and diagnosis of your hair loss issues. If you are suffering from permanent or long term hair loss, you still have various treatment options. Contact us today at Hair Renewal Studio’s, we will help you get back your confidence.